TB Joshua’s stolen ‘quotable quotes’
In this article we provide damning evidence that many of TB Joshua’s supposedly sacred writings are actually stolen from American evangelists and other sources. We publish a collection of his fraudulent writings or ‘Quotable Quotes’ that have never been made public outside of SCOAN, and highlight some of the parts that have been copied to show exactly where TB Joshua has copied them from.
The sayings of TB Joshua, known at the Synagogue Church of All Nations (SCOAN) as ‘Quotable Quotes’, are held in great esteem by his disciples. Within SCOAN, there are many volumes of Quotable Quotes, and disciples spend much time and energy memorising them as ex-disciple Giles described in his testimony.
“Disciples believe that the quotes are all divinely inspired,” said a former disciple who asked not to be named. “They definitely regard them as equal to the bible. The quotes have to be memorised and quoted word for word. To preach a good message for TB Joshua you have to stuff it with as many of the quotes as possible.”
What most TB Joshua followers don’t know is that many of these quotable quotes are not even TB Joshua’s words, but have been copied from books in TB Joshua’s library.
For a while TB Joshua Watch had been suspicious of the sources of TB Joshua’s quotes. A few of them we immediately knew were not original, such as St Augustine’s “Work as if it all depends on you, pray as if it all depends on God” and Winston Churchill’s ”we make a living from what we get, we make a life from what we give”. Others seemed to be incomplete, as if they had been taken out of their wider context.
Thanks to numerous helpful ex-disciples we managed to obtain several collections of TB Joshua’s Quotable Quotes, many of which have been kept secret within SCOAN until now. We passed these on to a supporter of TB Joshua Watch who was able to use software to analyse the quotes for similarity with web accessible sources.
What we found out was incredible. 1 in 5 of them were copied directly from online sources. And this was only the tip of the iceberg because it only looked at online accessible sources. Any book not accessible for free on the internet was excluded from the analysis.
One of TB Joshua’s favourite sources of ‘Quotable Quotes’ is the late American evangelist Billy Joe Daughtery. TB Joshua has copied 102 quotes from just one of his books, called This New Life, first published in 1992 (well before TB Joshua was known outside of his region). You read the whole book here. If you are familiar with TBJ’s Quotable Quotes, have a read through the book and see how much you recognise. Here’s a few quotes TB Joshua stole:
- As a Christian, thank God, you do not have to be under circumstance
- Be a good giver — First to God, then to your fellow man
- Faith requires you to speak out before you feel or see them
- For faith to be consistent, it must be based on something with more stability than your feelings
- God has given you all the armor needed. He has given you weapons that no power of Satan can withstand
- God says that what you say will become a visible reality in the natural world if you steadfastly hold on to your confession of faith.
- If you are not seeking God’s righteousness, your prayers will not be very effective
- It is God’s power working through His Word and Spirit that brings about the new birth.
- True humility means total dependence upon God for everything.
- Everyone is exposed to things that are not consistent with God’s Word. If these things control your feelings and your feelings control your faith, you can be a Christian yet controlled by Satan’s devices.
Another book he has shamelessly plagiarised is The Power of the Holy Spirit by Don DeWelt (first published in the year of TB Joshua’s birth, 1963) You can access the full book here; here are just a few examples:
- A Christian is to be under the control of the Holy Spirit in the same manner that a drunkard is under the control of wine
- He was not only an embodiment of Heavenly Father but also of Heavenly Spirit.
- A man has the ability to testify or witness; the Holy Spirit testifies or witnesses as he wills.
- The Holy spirit enters into our personalities and we become a new person with a renewed mind, affection, desire and will
- We receive at our obedience a gift from God – this gift is the Holy Spirit.
- We have the Holy Spirit not because we have some emotional sensation, but because God’s word plainly so indicates.
- Believe was inclusive of all the apostles did to accept Jesus Christ as the Lord and saviour
- At the time of your acceptance of Jesus Christ, you should have received the Holy spirit as your reward
These were the two books we found with the most content copied, but many other sources provide one or two of his Quotable Quotes. Some were even lifted from the statement of faith page of a German evangelist!
Remember – this analysis found that 1 in 5 were copied, but that was looking only at freely available web sources. Many books of the genre and age of This New Life and The Power of the Holy Spirit will not be available for free online. Having seen what we have seen, we can assume that the vast majority of the writings of TB Joshua are not in fact from the pen of TB Joshua at all.
What’s the big deal?
If you’re only a casual observer of TB Joshua and his ministry, you may wonder what all the fuss is. The quotes are generally good and faith building, why does it matter where they originated? If you have ever been a disciple, or otherwise closely linked to his ministry – you will know this is a massive deal – nobody studying these quotes at SCOAN believes they are reading a compendium of faith building quotes from multiple authors, they believe they are reading the divinely inspired wisdom of the Prophet/Messiah TB Joshua.
We sent the links to these books to several ex-disciples of TB Joshua, and we will end on a quote from an email from one of them, who after reading “The New Life” by Billy Joe Daugherty said:
“It’s amazing… I can’t believe that so many quotes are just copied word for word.
Just blatant. It actually makes everything make even more sense. Sometimes his teaching just didn’t make sense – like it was just fragments or excerpts of something – which was actually the case! As disciples we had to learn these quotes word for word. We were all “amazed” at TB’s wisdom……. I’m lost for words”
Download longer list of plagiarised quotable quotes:
Here are just a few of the hundreds of quotes that we can prove TB Joshua has plagiarised.
Shortly, we hope to release the original .pdf file with all TB Joshua’s quotable quotes on, with the plagiarised parts highlighted. But for now this gives you some idea of the scale of the deception.
NOTE: If you look carefully, you will notice that quite a few of the quotes have been copied incorrectly, so that the only thing TB Joshua has added is grammatical errors. There are several other ‘quotable quotes’ that make no sense on their own, but in the context of the original text they are perfectly logical. (e.g. “Faith requires you to speak them before you feel or see them” What does ‘them’ refer to? Billie Joe Daugherty gives us the answer.)