Since we started this site back in January, we have had a lot of responses from readers. It is clear that we have made a lot of people angry.
“NEVER EVER SHOW YOUR FINGER TO THE SERVANT OF GOD!”
“All this is nonsense!”
“This site is the work of the enemy!”
“You make me sick!”
People are upset. But how have these people defended TB Joshua from the allegations he faces? Interestingly, all the critical comments and emails we have received have made almost identical points. Here are the main themes:
1) TB Joshua is a true man of God! Men of God always face false accusations! (we dealt with this argument in this post)
2) You should not judge, only God can judge! (we cannot judge, but is it not right to question?)
4) Why do you only see the bad side? (If the bad side is exploitation of desperate people and years of sexual abuse, how can we justify staying silent?)
5) If he’s not a man of God, how do you explain the miracles? (we addressed this in this post)
The problem with these responses is that none of them address any of our concerns about TB Joshua. There are many serious and damning allegations of sexual abuse and systematic deception, from many different sources. We are still waiting for a response that addresses them and provides information showing another side to the story. We are ready for reasoned debate but so far, defense of TB Joshua has been limited to name-calling and smearing of ex-disciples who have spoken out.
How has TB Joshua defended himself?
In absence of convincing arguments from his supporters, it is useful to see how TB Joshua and SCOAN have responded to sex abuse allegations. Again, the substance of the allegations have never been addressed; SCOAN simply accuses critics of being blasphemers and liars and TB Joshua has never released any statement denying the allegations. His policy has been to refuse to even acknowledge them. In this interview, TB Joshua refuses to deny cheating on his wife:
As a man of God, can you look God in the face and admit you have not cheated on your wife?
TB Joshua: Let me tell you one thing about the situation. What is happening, you are seeing the level of understanding and the obedience in union between me and my wife.
But don’t you face temptation from women, a handsome man like you?
TB Joshua: Like I have said, if you are not tempted with money and you are not tempted with woman, and you are not tempted with pride…I want to tell you that God Almighty has been manifesting His strength in my weakness. For when I am weak, then I am strong. Thank you.
This stance leaves his supporters in a difficult position: how can you defend a man against allegations that he himself refuses to deny?
How can you credibly defend TB Joshua?
If you are a follower of TB Joshua, or a supporter of SCOAN/Emmanuel TV and are thinking of responding to this site, here are some questions to consider in your response. We would like to hear your feedback.
1) Do you believe that TB Joshua is perfect? Or to put it another way, is he capable of sinning? If your answer is “Yes, he is perfect”, you might like to look up 1 John 1:8: “If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us”. However, if you believe he is human, it follows that the allegations could be true. While we cannot be the judge of this, we know that the allegations are numerous and go back many years, and that SCOAN routinely tries to silence them. This is why we believe they deserve to have a voice.
2) How is TB Joshua held accountable? To say he is accountable to Jesus is not enough. Every minister should be accountable to someone, either through a team of churches, a denomination, a mentor or a leadership team. This is something clearly modelled throughout scripture.
3) What measures does TB Joshua have in place to avoid sexual temptation? Most ministers keep to certain rules regarding meeting with people of the opposite sex, for example a male minister may only counsel a female congregant when a husband/relative is present. These protocols help protect the minister from temptation, and also from false accusation. As far as we can tell, from both pro-SCOAN and anti-SCOAN sources, TB Joshua does not have any such measures in place.
4) How are SCOAN’s finances independently audited? SCOAN and Emmanuel TV make massive sums of money. There is great scope for corruption and financial irregularities.
5) How does SCOAN ensure that all AIDS victims they pronounce healed really are? Evidence suggests they leave this to the victim. In fact, the responsibility lies with the person claiming them healed.
We would be happy to give a platform to anyone answering these questions or giving constructive and specific reponses to the allegations. If you don’t know the answers to these questions, then ask representatives of SCOAN and observe their reaction. The truth can withstand scrutiny; only deceivers fear the truth and discourage questioning. If you are a financial supporter of SCOAN or Emmanuel TV, you may consider suspending your support until you have satisfactory answers to these important questions.