On February the 8th, SCOAN’s latest attempt to pervert the cause of justice was put to rest and the date was set for the trial of the SCOAN trustees and the engineers.
It is surprising the amount of energy and money SCOAN have spent in order to try and bury this case. The charge expected to be brought against them is one count of building without approval, for which they may have to pay a small fine. It’s the engineers who will suffer the major consequences if found guilty of 110 counts of involuntary manslaughter. It would appear to be going in SCOAN’s favour, they get a slap on the wrist for not completing the right paperwork, the engineers get a prison sentence. They have the perfect fall guy. However, if it’s as simple as this, why are they spending so much money on top flight lawyers to avoid a ~$1000 fine? Two possibilities come to mind 1) they know that they are ultimately responsible, for example they instructed the contractor to build on the cheap and they know the truth will come out, or 2) they just can’t allow a situation to arise where their “infallible” general overseer is found by a court of law to be in the wrong, even if it’s for a relatively “trivial” reason.
Whatever their reasoning, it is good to see the court case finally moving forward. The one fact nobody is disputing is that at least 115 people lost their lives on September 12th 2014. Their families deserve justice, and they deserve the truth. TB Joshua and SCOAN have not been helping this process with their constant attempts to exploit loopholes in the law to shut down proceedings, or their attempts to sway public opinion by presenting “evidence” on youtube while snubbing court summons. It is about time a heavy hand was used against them to bring closure to this tragedy.
For those who still believe in the SCOAN stories of a mystery airplane or terrorist attack, we remind you that these theories were covered and dismissed in the coroner’s report. The cause of the collapse was very clear based on extensive evidence provided by 3 independent engineering agencies. Their conclusion was the building was so structurally deficient a collapse was inevitable. Some of the issues they highlighted include:
- Inadequate beams of 750mm by 225mm (should have been 900mm by 300mm)
- Inadequately reinforced columns (should have been reinforced with 12 x Y25 bars or 20 x Y20mm bars. Instead they used 10 x Y20 bars (as seen in the video released by SCOAN).
- Inadequate bearing pressure for the central column due to the 2m x 2m x 0.9m foundations.
- Failure to introduce rigid zones for bracing the structure and did not design the frames as an unbraced structure.
- Failure to provide movement joints that could have absorbed any movement due to creep, contraction, expansion and differential settlement etc..
- 8 out of the 12 main beams of the structure failed because they were undersized, under-reinforced (both in tension and shear), the tension bars were poorly anchored to the column supports and 8 x Y20 was used instead of 14 x Y20.
- The ground floor columns were slender and readily gave in to buckling
Reading the full report leaves do doubt in the readers mind that the building was unsafe. This makes it even more shocking that SCOAN would try so hard to counteract the plain truth. Whatever happened to the 9th commandment “You shall not bear false witness”?