Coroner Oyetade Komolafe has ruled that SCOAN were criminally negligent, and should be investigated and prosecuted, “The church was culpable because of criminal negligence resulting in the death of the victims” (Source: BBC). The contractor will also be investigated.
TB Joshua was criticised by the coroner for being the only one of 32 witnessed called before the court to not turn up, “Among the individuals and organisations summoned, only Prophet TB Joshua refused to testify,” he told the court. SCOAN’s nonsensical theory involving an unidentified aircraft and futuristic weapons was ruled out by “a string of expert witnesses” (Source: Yahoo news).
This ruling may not surprise our more level headed readers, but it is an enormous victory for the rule of law in Nigeria. It makes a loud and clear statement that nobody is above the law, even a self proclaimed “man of god” with a large following and millions in the bank. Well done Lagos State Magistrate Oyetade Komolafe, we salute your courage and conviction, you have done your country a great service.
What happens next for TB Joshua? Since he is currently keeping a low profile in Central America, we predict he will not be reappearing any time soon. In fact it seems likely the SCOAN ministry will now slowly fade away. However, even if this does happen, the story is far from over. Please join us in praying for the following points:
- For the victims of the building collapse and the families of the deceased, pray that this verdict helps them find closure.
- For the disciples still in SCOAN. They will be confused and scared at the verdict, but as often happens in a crisis, will probably dig in deeper. Pray that God reveals the truth to them and gives them a chance to escape the cult and be reunited to the families and friends who dearly long to see them.
- For the ongoing investigation and forthcoming prosecution, pray that the truth is revealed and justice is served.
- For peace in Nigeria. TB Joshua has many ferociously loyal supporters. This verdict will not go down well with them. It would not be surprising if violence broke out as a result of this news.
- For the safety of Lagos State Magistrate Oyetade Komolafe.